EVENT PLANNING GUIDE
Below is a 9-Step Guide to hosting a Girls Fight Back seminar. We conduct seminars to any group of women or girls age 12+, having done programs at middle schools, high schools, colleges, corporations, small businesses, associations, hospitals, senior citizen centers – just to name a few. We strive to make this process as easy as possible for you by making all details available on this page, along with the About and FAQ links. But don’t hesitate to contact us for more info if you still have festering questions…we’re here to serve.
STEP #1: Get in Touch
Interested in a GFB seminar? Then holla at us and let’s be friends. This gets the ball rolling, and we can also hold a date for you. No pressure to book an event just because you reach out, so don’t be shy. Contact us here.
STEP #2: Got Budget?
Ah, that pesky money stuff…this is the most common question we receive: How much do y’all cost? Please contact us for an exact price, which depends on what kind of organization you are, when you want to hold the event and if we have a GFB speaker in your area. Cross our hearts: We do our best to make our presentation affordable for your group.
STEP #3: Pick a Date
Pick a few dates and we’ll tell you if it’s do-able. Our availability usually depends on time of year, and again, if we have a GFB speaker in your ‘hood. We tend to book about anywhere from 1-6 months in advance. Due to our crazy-busy schedule, less than 30 days notice is tough.
STEP #4: Sign the Contract
Our contracts are all online, and will be delivered to your inbox. Just e-sign, and press ‘submit’ and you’re done. If you prefer doing things the old fashioned way (or need a few people to sign) you can download it, sign, and fax it back to us. If you are a student, we require a staff member sign the contract. Once we receive the signed contract, you’ll be introduced to your GFB speaker. From that point on, you’ll work directly with her to produce an awesome event.
STEP #5: Organize Logistics
The speaker will book and pay for all her own flights, hotel and meals (if necessary) from the all-inclusive fee you pay, so don’t worry about that. Here’s what you will need to work out…
- Venue: Pretty please, don’t schedule this event in a gymnasium if possible. (the acoustics suck) Or outdoors. Or in a busy cafeteria during lunchtime. We’ve done all those, and as awesome as it sounds to be throwin’ down amidst nature, we assure you – it’s not. This presentation is best suited for indoor spaces that are appropriate for the audience size (i.e., large lobby area, classroom, auditorium, ballroom, etc.).
- Tech Set-Up: We have an optional powerpoint presentation, with embedded video. If you have a larger crowd in a tech-enabled room, we highly recommend it. If your audience is smaller (less than 40), you can skip it. If you want the presentation, we need a screen, LCD projector, necessary cords/adapters, sound capability (PA system of some sort) and a lavaliere microphone. Wireless handheld mics are fine too, but just keep in mind our speakers are actively demo-ing self-defense techniques. It’s kinda hard to hold a random object when you’re fighting someone on-stage. Just sayin’.
- Demo Assistant: We need an awesome person for this show for demonstrating ass kicking techniques – he/she will be our resident attacker dude. Please do not select a real-life creeper for this job! We prefer the well-liked, well-known friendly person who will put audience members at ease. This assistant needs a great sense of humor and loves girl power. Most assaults against women are committed by men, so it’s a bonus for this helper to identify as male. But a woman is totally fine too.
- Payment: Our contract states a check should be handed to the trainer right after the presentation is over. You may also mail it to us in advance to: Girls Fight Back, 4800 Baseline Rd., Suite E104 #286, Boulder CO 80303.
STEP #6: Publicize It
Facebook: Most people are on it, so why not use it? Here is a guide to creating/managing events on the FB. You can become a fan of GFB on Facebook (where we post lots of fun pics and blog posts) by clicking here.
Posters: Download, print and hang posters as many posters as you’d like to publicize around campus. Click below to download the…
- PG-13 Version of the GFB Poster (has the word “badass” on it)
- G-rated Version of the GFB Poster (no mention of ass whatsoever)
Twitter: Follow @girlsfightback and use the hashtag #BYOB (be your own badass). Give us some shout-outs in the weeks/days leading up to our visit and we’ll hollaback.
STEP #7: The Big Day!
As Wayne and Garth (from Wayne’s World) would say, “Game ON!” We know that planning and promoting these events is hard work, and we want you to relax and enjoy it. Our speakers all sign a strict “no diva policy” (seriously) that allows you to have fun at the event and not be worrying about us. If your speaker had to travel by air to get to your venue, she will call you the day of the event to assure you everything is on schedule.
On the day of the program, you’ll need to meet your GFB speaker at the venue where the event will happen, and serve as the go-to person in case anything goes awry. But overall, our team of presenters is trained to handle anything that comes up and she knows how to roll with the punches. Please make sure that the Demo Assistant is on time, and there is tech support available in case the technology Gods are being pesky.
Also, we’ll need someone to introduce the speaker, which you can download here. Ideally get someone who will get the audience fired up and isn’t afraid of talking in front of crowds. This sets the tone for an upbeat, energetic event.
Step #8: Provide Feedback
Our program has been around since 2001 because we constantly re-invent ourselves, our commitment to customer service and impeccable quality of the presentations. Soon after the event, you will receive an email from our HQ asking you to provide honest feedback. We promise to use your feedback to keep moving our mission forward in the most impactful way.
Step #9: Keep in Touch
Our customers are also our friends, so never hesitate to reach out to us if we may be of assistance, or if you’d like to schedule another presentation or need any resources or referrals. Shoot us a note and tell us your updates, and we may feature you on our blog. (only if you desire)
Thanks for working with us!